Monday, March 31, 2008

Tornado


A tornado. Yes. A terrifying tornado. The skies had turned grey. Right before my eyes. Beaming rays of light throughout the slimming skies had taken over. It had been bursting with florescent light that had shone on the earth as beautiful as the flowers in a brightened meadow, until the wind around us intensified, as though it was pulling us with a tight grip. We scrambled back on our hands and knees, slowly inching towards the land rover. Our shirts swayed roughly as the tornado pulled the darkened sky down in a whirlpool like manner, rowdy and unchallenged. I panicked and started to scurry faster. My strength grew weak as my arms got tired and almost gave up. All of a sudden, my friend gets a grip on the land rover, slipping his hand around the back of the tyre. He reaches out for me, reaching further and further. I use my last ounce of strength to reach for his hand. My middle finger brushes his and I keep reaching closer and closer till my fingers reach his palm. I close my hand and secure a tight grip. He pulls me towards the car with all his might. I reach for the tyre with my spare hand. We both pull ourselves up towards the door and slide in. The tornado was flying towards us at a tremendous speed bursting through loose houses and trees, which disintegrated as they swirled around the churning tornado. The car was choking, refusing to turn on in such a dire situation. Tension grew higher between them as they panicked and tug on the key to turn it on as quick as possible. After a few more turns of the key in the ignition, the car started. The car had begun to skid towards the tornado due to the brutal pressure caused by the high winds. The boys instantly switched the gear stick from park to reverse, and then slowly applied pressure to the accelerator. The car idled for a few seconds. It was a rough moment. Not moving. It was as though weights were stuck to the tyres. The only real sounds we could hear were the booming of the torn sky and the revs of the engine cautiously reaching limits of 7000rpm. Tears almost streamed down our faces as our minds were filled with fear. The wind decreased for a moment and we were able to move a short distance to turn the car around. I put the car into drive and thrusted my foot onto the throttle to get us started. We crept forwards at 5km/h. By this time the tornado had bent, fixing its eye on a different area towards the left of us. We started picking up speed. As we departed the tornado, we left with only mere scars in our memory and great appreciation that we made it out alive. The road was smooth from then on. We breathed a huge sigh of relief with our hearts racing a million miles an hour. As we grow old, not one of us will ever forget this day.

No comments: