Monday, March 31, 2008

Grand Canyon

One day we went on a trip to the Grand Canyon. My mother, father, sister and I finally realised how big and magnificent it really was. We all divided up to look at the great scenery and the area it covered and the shapes and colours of the rocks. My father went south, my mother and sister went east, and I went north to see the jump site of Evil Kneivel. As soon as I got there, it started to rain. By the time I put jacket over my head, it had already seeped through my back. My head and my toes tingled in the ice-cold weather. The thunder booms and the lightening start to burst out like a fork stabbing into the ground. The lightening mustn’t have been that far away, if I saw it two seconds ago, I thought. I started to run back to the caravan, hoping I didn’t get struck by the forceful lightening. My back was getting sore and I had to rest somewhere so that it would heal. I found a rock next to the edge of the chasm. I hid until the rain subsided. I was blocking my ears and waiting in fear. Unexpectedly, a force of wind blew me out from under the rock. I was fighting to keep my balance and withstand the wind. The impressive force of the lightening hit right next to me. Tossing me away with an enormous force. The landing gave me several lacerations. I have a cut on my lower leg, a 10cm cut on my calf muscle, my elbow is grazed and my lower lip is wrecked. I was crawling along the floor to get to our caravan. My parents would be worried and wondering where I was? I was almost there, but somehow this big wave came. It was a Tsunami, coming through the Grand Canyon. The wave is like a massive brick wall that rumbles down the canyon, like an empty stomach, roaring on its way past! Bringing with it, a sea of troubles. What a spectacle! It was coming straight towards me. Bursting with rage. I had to get back to the caravan. I will have to use my last ounce of strength to get to it and I would never give up until I got there. The gigantic wall of water was several kilometres away and it had almost crossed where I had walked. Still crawling, I got to the caravan with an almighty reach. My family was wondering what was going on, until they gazed outside. They started the vehicle and sped to the left of the wave so that we could move to higher ground. The ground shook as the wave moved ever so closer. The fear ran though our bodies. We had almost made it to the high ground, until unexpectedly a rock got wedged in one of the wheels. I volunteered to get it out and I dashed out the door and went around to the wheel and freed the stone.

No comments: